Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:25:36 -0500
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        O Stockhammer <oliver@stockhammer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: signal 11 errors from cc1 while making kernel.

O Stockhammer wrote:

> Hello,
>         I am continuously plagued with the following errors:
>
> cc -c -O -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
> -fformat-extensions -ansi -g -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I../../../include
> -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h -elf  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
> ../../pci/ncr.c
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/COSMOS.
>
> when running make on my kernel named COSMOS.  My machine frequently
> reboots as well.  Signal 11 is listed as "11) SIGSEGV", which I assume to
> be a segment violation.  I am suspicious of a hardware issue on my server,
> possibly bad memory or an issue on the motherboard.  I cannot confirm my
> suspicions, as I am trying to build a debug kernel without success.  Any
> insight into either problems (the frequent crashing and rebooting or the
> signal 11 problems with the kernel make) would be appreciated.
>
> I am running a dual pentium 166 with the following FreeBSD Release:
>
> FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Aug 14 13:29:21 GMT 2000
>
> Take Care,
> Oliver Stockhammer

I recently held a discussion with someone else on this list about having
this same problem with dual 166 machines. Both of us running dual 166's
on different motherboards. My problem appeared to be leaning on the
hardware (Using make -j6). When I just did a make, things went fine. Are
you using the -j switch? If so try not using it and see if that helps.

--
Drew Sanford
Systems Administrator