Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:09:51 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
To:        David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bluetooth mouse does not connect after reboot

David,

> Sorry to talk about this again, but If it's possible I found a solution:
>
> Can we set a fake mac address for the bluetooth nic? For example, if I use
> the same mac address on my laptop and my desktop it will try to pair it so I
> just need to connect my mouse to it :)
>
> But I don't know how to change the mac address...

well, technically, there is no "standard" way to  change bluetooth
bd_addr (mac) address. i'm sure there are vendor specific hci commands
that would allow you to change bd_addr, but, like i said, those are
vendor specific commands and would be, well, specific, to each
particular bluetooth chip.

another problem is that having the same bd_addr on two different
devices is problematic. especially if those devices are in the rf
proximity and active.

finally, its not just bd_addr, its actually the link key. not only you
have to ensure the same bd_addr but also the same link key. and, yes,
the same pair of devices will produce different link key every time
you pair them.

one possible solution is to pair mouse to a specific detachable
bluetooth dongle. after paring is complete, obtain link key and
program it directly into the dongle using hci write_stored_link_key
command. after that, just move the detachable bluetooth dongle with
the mouse, i.e. connect the dongle to the computer you want to use
mouse with.

thanks,
max