Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:32:48 -0500
From:      Reid Linnemann <lreid@cs.okstate.edu>
To:        Nico -telmich- Schottelius <nico-freebsd-questions@schottelius.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Keyboard / Dell Optiplex 745 / FreeBSD 6.2

Written by Nico -telmich- Schottelius on 07/20/07 09:45>>
> Hello!
>
> Just wanted to confirm that the usb-keyboard is not working in the
> installer with Dell Optiplex 745 and FreeBSD 6.2.
> Though it works in the boot loader, but stops working (num lock light
> is set to off) when usb support is enabled by FreeBSD.
>
> I also tried booting with verbose logging on, but did not
> see an error, only that FreeBSD detects atkbd0, although there
> is no ps/2 port (so bios ps/2 emulation).
>
> There are many postings about the whole optiplex series out there
> having that problem, but there seems no solution until today.
>
> Or does anyone else know more about that?
>
> Nico

I've never know what causes this, but in single user mode some USB
keyboards on some systems refuse to work. I myself work on an Optiplex
GX270 that exhibits the same behavior. You can get around it easily
enough though; at the loader, set hint.atkbd0.disabled=1 and then boot,
the problem should go away.