Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:36:53 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Henry Miller <hmiller@intradyn.com>
Subject:   Re: Which is the best PDF utility ?

Please don't top-post ...

On Thu 28 Apr 05 05:13, edward <kouye@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Henry Miller wrote:
> > On 4/26/2005 at 19:13 edward wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>Just wanted to know which is, according to you, the best utility to
> > read
> >>PDF files. I notice the Acrobat7 port is mentioned as "broken" in
> >> the notes. Which program (not necessarily Adobe) would be the best
> >> alternative for everyday PDF reading ? Oh, almost forgot, I use
> >> KDE. Thanks for your insight on this.
> >>Edward
> >
> > kpdf, which is based on xpdf (other recommended xpdf) is a part of
> > KDE, and thus integrates well with the rest of your KDE
> > environment.  I like it.   The Adobe reader would be better if it
> > wasn't such a pain to install and use.   (I have a windows machine
> > with acrobat, but when I need to view a pdf I move to my FreeBSD
> > machine so I can use kpdf)
> >
> > kpdf is a part of kdegraphics, which is in ports as:
> > /usr/ports/graphics/kdegraphics3
> >
> > I'd call this your best bet because you use KDE already.
>
> Hi,
> I installed it though pkg_add -r kdegraphics3. Install seemed to go
> all right. Then the software added itself to the K menu. But KPDF
> doesn't launch. When started from the console, I get :
> # kpdf
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libidn.so.16" not found,
> required by "kpdf"
> My guess is that there is version mixup involving one of the
> dependencies used by KPDF. Any idea which dependency is concerned or
> how I can bail out of this ?

You're missing devel/libidn. However, for something with many
dependencies like kdegraphics3, I'd recommend building it from ports in
order to pull in dependencies more easily. Are you familiar with using
ports? If not, here's some basic info:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/12/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html and
there are many more helpful articles on the site, as well as excellent
info in the handbook.

- jt