Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 17:13:58 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: linproc - getting it running

>> (10.02.2002 @ 0602 PST): MET said, in 0.7K: <<
> I've got a program which is telling me to add this line to my /etc/fstab file:
>
>    linproc /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0
>
> But as I have no ideas what it is I figured I'd ask and find out.  I
> understand that linproc has to do with linux emulation with the filesystem,
> but other than that I have no idea.

check out linprocfs(5).

you're nearly right there. linprocfs is as much a filesystem as procfs is.
it provides a file-based interface into the processes currently running
with linux emulation.

> Do I just put that line into the bottom of fstab?  It doesn't seem to fit the
> style which that file has...is that ok?

that's exactly what you do. expand the spaces into tabs and you'll find
that it does in fact fit the formatting... it just doesn't look like it
::)

> The only thing I found when searching for this string is installing
> staroffice, which since it requires linux emulation I'm sure its a similar
> task.

a couple other ports and processes require it. running linux emulation
without the linprocfs is possible and reasonable, but won't put much of
a tax on your system.

-Adam

--
"Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw."