Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:01:45 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        John Daniel <john@cell-works.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I filled up / directory looking for a remedy

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:51:08 -0400 (EDT)  John Daniel wrote:
 +------------------
 | now the biggest directories are kde format desktop stuff in the /root/.kde
 | directory.  since i put in xdm I can't and won't be logging in as root and
 | using these files.
 |
 | can i ditch them?
 +------------------

I'd say that would be fine.  I'd recommend always setting up a user account
and rarely if ever login to root from the console.  I use sudo for most of
my root access needs but many people are comfortable just using su.

 +------------------
 | I'm thinking about moving tmp to /usr and using a link.
 |
 | Does it make sense to do this?
 +------------------

Using a symbolic link is just fine for this.  My favorite way to move
hierarchies is with the pax command:

    pax -rwvpe /tmp /usr
    mv /tmp /tmp-
    ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp
    #
    # spend a few minutes to make sure that everything is cool
    #
    rm -r /tmp-
    #
    # this may brake some X configs that put sockets in /tmp
    # You may have to log out and log back in again
    #

 +------------------
 | Do these steps seem correct?
 |
 | 1 Configure kernel with
 |
 | options MFS
 |
 | 2 Add a line
 |
 |  in /etc/fstab
 |
 | I see an example in the handbook in the kernel config section but I'm not
 | sure how to determine the device name to use.
 |
 | 3 reboot
 +------------------

Your procedure seems reasonable.  I might do two reboots. one after
rebuilding the kernel and one after I'd made the change to fstab.
But that's just because I'm a bit over cautious about making changes.

This is a pretty simple change but as always it's a good idea to make
backups of everything important.

Personally I like to see both / and /usr be static file systems.
It makes it easier to run consistency checks on the system.  On
the other hand if you did not create a /home or a /disk/1 or some
such partition then maybe using a symbolic link into /usr is your
best bet.

chris
--
    Chris Fedde