Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 15:01:11 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        current list <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   panic: page fault (apparently caused by mount_mfs)

Hi,

I have been getting a panic lately with every -current kernel that I
have built for the past week or so (-current cvsupped daily).  Even the
GENERIC kernel panics.  It is occuring when the mount for a /tmp mfs
filesystem is attempted.  If I boot an old kernel from 5/11 or remove
the fstab entry for the mfs file system the system boots up okay.  My
fstab entry for this is:

/dev/da0s1b    /tmp     mfs   rw,nosuid,-s=102400     0       0

and the panic messages are:

Fatal trap 12: pagefault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address           = 0x9d334e68
fault code			= Supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer		= 0x8:0xc0185cb0
stack pointer			= 0x10:0xc98ad84
frame pointer			= 0x10:0xc98adb0
code segment			= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
				= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags		= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process			= 40 (mount_mfs)
interrupt mask			=
trap number			= 12
panic: page fault

Any ideas on what may be wrong?

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox             The man who follows the crowd will usually get no
bob@luke.pmr.com        further than the crowd.  The man who walks alone is