Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:28:08 -0500
From:      Holger Kunst <hkunst@moneyfitness.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Email sent from "at" command going to the wrong account

Hi,

The "at" command sends and email with the output of the scheduled job.
I've experienced inconsistent results when running jobs, receiving
emails in accounts not associated with the user currently logged in.

To reproduce in FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p2

Case #1
login as user a (new shell through ssh)
echo "echo 1" | at now
--> user a will receive an email containing "1" - this is as expected

Case #2
login as user a (new shell through ssh)
login as user b
exit
echo "echo 1" | at now
--> user b will receive an email containing "1" - this is not as
expected, since I am user a again

A look at the source for "at" reveals that "at" is getting the mailname
from getlogin(). Running a small test program that outputs getlogin(),
confirms the above behavior: A log-in and out of another account makes
getlogin() return that account's name, even though the shell has been
closed and we are back to the original shell and the original user a.

Is this the intended behavior? Any hints would be apprecaited.

Best regards,

Holger Kunst