Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:37:37 -0400
From:      "Bart Silverstrim" <bsilver@sosbbs.com>
To:        "Paul Robinson" <paul@akita.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: gcc on production server

> On Jul 12, Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@sosbbs.com> wrote:
>
> > Why not use two drives, one read only with the OS on it, one with
multiple
> > partitions to mount to /var and /tmp, <swap>, /home...stuff like
that...or
> > some variation of that theme?
>
> Because I'm not sure that enhances security in any way. There are lots of
> problems here, not least that if somebody finds a hole in your ftpd or
> whatever, you are going to have to go into serious downtime to patch
> it. Whereas a rw disk can be patched in seconds.

If somebody finds a hold in FTPD and you want to patch it, you're going to
have serious downtime no matter what; I wouldn't trust binaries afterwards.
In a small ISP setting where I was (or in the place I'm working in now, if
it would be possible) I'd rather do a full reinstall of the OS or get spare
hardware and set up a replacement server to cycle in, depending on the
damage.  Otherwise you could be leaving back doors open.

A read-only media would really keep them from hosing the system (for this
context, I'll refer to the CD ROM idea, since that's what I had in mind
before with this idea).  I wouldn't do this for certain types of systems; as
always, it depends on the application and context.  For a small ISP, we
could do it for servers that do things like small DNS servers, systems where
you need to keep the system protected, etc.  Patching would be done on a
system that's set aside as a vanilla "image" blank; patch that, reburn the
CD's, and just swap the CD's into the server's drives and restart.

Also with a RO media, if a hacker gets in, it does enhance security...how do
you trojan a system you can't modify?  The damage would occur to things like
web pages and personal files.  Restoration from backups should take care of
that side, but it would at least keep you from having to keep reinstalling
and reconfiguring the servers.  And a simple system like this would not be
something for a huge company or large ISP; I agree there.  With that kind of
budget, chances are they can get better solutions.  But for small
mom-and-pop providers, I think this could be budgeted from the money they'd
save not running with NT licenses :-)

*shrug* I thought it would be a good idea.  I just don't work at a place
that's as unix-friendly right now to try it out.

-Bart

---