Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 20:21:57 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   panic: newdirrem inum 48733 should be 48732 (SMP+SOFTUPDATES)

Had no problems with panics for a long long time although I run
current, SMP and softupdates. When other people reported problems
I wondered, why my system didn't panic ...

But now I have been bitten by softupdates and SMP myself.

Kernel config file below and the trace from DDB
_Debugger
_panic
_newdirrem
_softdep_setup_directory_change
_ufs_dirrewrite
_ufs_rename
_ufs_vnoperate
_rename
_syscall
_Xint0x80_syscall

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I686_CPU"
ident		ISDNSMP
maxusers	128

# Create a SMP capable kernel (mandatory options):
options		SMP			# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options		APIC_IO			# Symmetric (APIC) I/O

# Options for the VM subsystem
#options	PQ_NOOPT		# No coloring
#options	PQ_LARGECACHE		# color for 512k/16k cache
options		PQ_HUGECACHE		# color for 1024k/16k cache

# Lets always enable the kernel debugger for SMP.
options		DDB

options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel

options		"P1003_1B"
options		"_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
options		"_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"

options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD      #enable xparent proxy support
options		"IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100" #limit verbosity
options		IPDIVERT		#divert sockets

options		COMPAT_LINUX

options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		SOFTUPDATES
options		MFS			#Memory File System
options		MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options		"CD9660"		#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		KERNFS			#Kernel filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options		SCSI_DELAY=15000	#Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options		SCSI_CAM		#We're using CAM in this kernel
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options		FAILSAFE		#Be conservative
options		SHOW_BUSYBUFS		#List buffers that prevent root unmount
options		NSWAPDEV=3		#Allow this many swap-devices.
options		CODA			#CODA filesystem.

# Size of the kernel message buffer.  Should be N * pagesize.
options		"MSGBUF_SIZE=40960"

config		kernel root on da0

controller	isa0
controller	pci0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

controller	ahc0
options		AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO

# AHA 2940U
controller	ahc0
controller	scbus0	at ahc0
disk		da0	at scbus0 target 0 unit 0
disk		da3	at scbus0 target 1 unit 0
tape		sa0	at scbus0 target 4
device		worm0	at scbus0 target 5
device		cd0	at scbus0 target 6

# AHA 2940
controller	ahc1
controller	scbus1 at ahc1
disk		da1 at scbus1 target 1 unit 0
disk		da2 at scbus1 target 2 unit 0
#device		pt0 at scbus1 target 6 unit 0

options		SCSI_REPORT_GEOMETRY

# SCO compatible system console
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
options	MAXCONS=4		# number of virtual consoles
options	SC_HISTORY_SIZE=200	# number of history buffer lines

device	npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device	sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x10 tty irq 4 vector siointr
device	sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device	lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device	psm0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr

# Network 3COM PCI
# The `vx' device provides support for the 3Com 3C590 and 3C595
device	vx0
device	xl0
device	ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000 vector edintr

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	pty	16
pseudo-device	gzip		# Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device	bpfilter	4	#Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device	vn		#Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
pseudo-device	ccd	4	#Concatenated disk driver
pseudo-device	tun	1		#Tunnel driver (user process ppp(8))
pseudo-device	ppp	1		#Point-to-point protocol
options PPP_BSDCOMP			#PPP BSD-compress support
options PPP_DEFLATE			#PPP zlib/deflate/gzip support
options PPP_FILTER			#enable bpf filtering (needs bpfilter)

# This provides support for System V shared memory.
#
options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG

# This option includes a MD5 routine in the kernel, this is used for
# various authentication and privacy uses.
options		"MD5"

# Luigi's snd code (use INSTEAD of snd0 and all VOXWARE drivers!).
# You may also wish to enable the pnp controller with this, for pnp
# sound cards.
#
#device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr
device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 vector pcmintr

# Not controlled by `snd'
# device pca0 at isa? port IO_TIMER1 tty

options	"I4B_SMP_WORKAROUND"

# i4b passive ISDN cards support (isic - I4b Siemens Isdn Chipset driver)

# Teles S0/16.3
options "TEL_S0_16_3"
device isic0 at isa? port 0xd80 net irq 9 flags 0x04 vector isicintr

# i4b passive cards D channel handling
# Q.921
pseudo-device   "i4bq921"
# Q.931
pseudo-device   "i4bq931"

# common passive and active layer 4
# layer 4
pseudo-device   "i4b"

# userland driver to do ISDN tracing (for passive cards oly)
pseudo-device   "i4btrc"        4
# userland driver to control the whole thing
pseudo-device   "i4bctl"
# userland driver for access to raw B channel
pseudo-device   "i4brbch"       4
# userland driver for telephony
pseudo-device   "i4btel"        2
# network driver for IP over raw HDLC ISDN
pseudo-device   "i4bipr"        4
# enable VJ header compression detection for ipr i/f
# options         IPR_VJ
# network driver for sync PPP over ISDN
pseudo-device   "i4bisppp"      4
pseudo-device   sppp            4

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?