Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:04:06 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache and group info

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 at 11:50:07 -0700, Rick Hamell wrote:

> 	I've got Apache setup but I'm trying to make it a little bit
> more secure. According to the Docs and what info I can find, I should
> create a group and a user that is allowed to execute apache. I can do
> the user no problem, but how do I add groups? Addgroup dosen't seem to
> be a vaild command under 3.4 (and locate dosen't find it.)

Edit your /etc/group file and add something like..

    www:*:500:

(Assuming you want to use ``www'' as the user and group.  If not, change
the www to whatever you want.)

> Also, where is the root directory of apache by default, aka where
> would I put the home page for my domain? /usr/local/www looks like a
> good place. I assume I can change that easily enough in httpd.conf,
> right? Thanks in advance for answering these basic questions. :)

Depends on how you installed it :-)  Look in /usr/local/www/data,
or /usr/local/share/doc/apache.  Those are probably the most common
places for it.

- jim

--
/* jim mock - berkeley software design, inc - open source division */
/* documentation manager - jim@FreeBSD.org - jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com */