Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:06:33 -0500
From:      "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
To:        Freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Make fails to propagate variables?

The following line

make release RELEASENOUPDATE=1 BUILDNAME=3.4-local CHROOTDIR=/FreeBSDRelease CVSROOT=/tmp

should create a release w/o doing any CVS updates.  However, it fails with

cd /FreeBSDRelease/usr && rm -rf src &&  cvs -R -d /tmp co -P src
cvs checkout: cannot find module `src' - ignored
*** Error code 1

I think there is a problem with make failing to properly propagate
environment variables to sub shells as I ran across a similar
problem when trying to work with any port and a r/o NFS mounted file
system.

I tried to dig through the makefiles to determine where the problem lies
but they're fairly complex and I thought a more experienced set of eyes
might be able to pick the problem out quickly.

Is this a known issue?  I've not seen anything go by on the lists.

/\/\ \/\/