Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 2003 12:27:48 -0800
From:      joe <joe@dubium.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   audio tape recordings to mp3 - advice and experience sought

I am looking for some practical advice to achieve the "optimal" quality
mp3 recordings. On clean recordings of music CDs using cdparanoia I use
the "--alt-preset standard" setting for lame which gives excellent
results. My sources in this case are not as clean.

I have a cassette tape deck attached to the line-in and am making
stereo-44Khz recordings which I call the raw wav files (no signal
processing yet).

These recordings are all medium-good quality speech.

I can use any of the following tools - gramofile, audacity, and lame to
process and encode.  I've looked at the signal processing function of
each of the tools and I am not sure what is most appropriate or if they
should be used in sequence or what is most appropriate for cleaning up
speech (given the limited dynamic range)

Joe Sotham
If the only prayer you say in your entire life is "Thank You",
that will suffice.
        - Meister Eckhart