Date:      Fri, 1 May 1998 05:13:16 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP4000 network printing problems

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Joe McGuckin wrote:

> My HP printer becomes non-responsive after 10-15 minutes of inactivity.
> I'm using the built-in network interface.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem? Is anyone sucessfully using the
> HP4000N with FreeBSD ?

I'm not currently using a 4000 with FreeBSD, but have them at work.  I
wouldn't mind betting that they have a connection timeout - it may be
possible to disable this from the front panel or via (yech!) the Windows
support utils.  Depending on your lpd configuration, it may be trying to
keep the connection open permanently, and when the connection is lost not
recovering.

Its also possible that the power saving features may be changing the
dynamics, but I wouldn't have thought so....

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243..18        |        Australia