Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 23:28:19 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        ache@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ssh-1.2.10; ok to run?

Nate Williams writes:
> > 	use ssh-1.2.13  earlier versions we less secure than desireable
> > 	see the web page:  http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/
> >

> Hmm, I just set my USA_RESIDENT == YES after the port whines at me, it
> downloads the sources and then exists.  All attempts to create the
> package fail since it doesn't do anything.  Does anyone know how to
> create this darn ssh port?  Even comments in the Makefile saying "jump
> on your head and yodel while chanting 'I like bananas' while convince
> make to build the package" would be nice.

It was a dumb question on my part.  I just realized that I had to delete
the old work directory before it would continue.

However, this port is useless to me for several reasons:
1) It requires a lot of useless ports, such as TK, Perl5, and Wish.
   None of these are necessary, and the configure scripts already knows
   they aren't necessary.  If I remember right Peter and I argued with
   Andrey about this very thing.  I'm trying to install this on my
   router box, and it has (and NEEDS) none of the above tools.  It's got
   a smallish disk already, I don't need alot of bloat for security
   tools that DON'T NEED all of the extra junk just to get a working
   ssh/sshd binary.

2) This port only works under -current.  That may be fine and good, but
   the next 'official' release of FreeBSD on CD is going to be -stable,
   which means that this port won't build on it.  Again, my firewall box
   is running -stable on a small disk, but even if it had a *huge* disk
   I'd have to be running -current to get this port to compile.

So, what is it going to take for me to get ssh working under FreeBSD
short of building it by hand like I have to do on the Suns?  It seems
like a waste of my time to do this when we have this *really* nice ports
system in place.  (Although I will admit, I don't have to go looking for
the distributions since their locations are in the Makefiles. :)

Sorry to vent my spleen here, but the current ssh port seems
counter-productive to me.

Nate