Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:19:20 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alec Berryman <alec@thened.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anyone using voip?

--3qFz8M2h77c7FGn9

On Thursday, 23 February 2006 at  0:43:22 +0000, Alec Berryman wrote:
> Peter on 2006-02-22 18:55:34 -0500:
>

>> --- Alec Berryman <alec@thened.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm using Skype from ports with an analog headset and it works
>>> fantastically well.
>>
>> I installed skype from ports.  Without a man page it was difficult to
>> begin.  I decided to execute the binary and it just sat there without any
>> output whatsover.  Do you have any notes?
>
> It just started up for me.  It's a Linux binary; have you properly
> enabled Linux compatibility as described in the handbook?  You might
> refer to the documentation on www.skype.com, but it was very much
> plug-and-play.

I'd guess that Peter is asking: "OK, it works.  Now how do I use
it?".  That's where I was left with Skype.  I suppose that would
change if I had anybody to talk to over it.  But it's a proprietary
solution where there are open solutions; why choose it?

Before somebody answers, I know the answer: it gives you ($) access to
POTS, and it works (apparently) better than some open VoIP solutions.
But I'd rather fix the open solution.

Greg

--3qFz8M2h77c7FGn9

--3qFz8M2h77c7FGn9--