Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2007 15:59:20 +0000
From:      Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
To:        "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org, freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Spurious error from i[pf]_carp

Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> Max Laier wrote:
>> Alternatively you could change IPPROTO_CARP in netinet/in.h to another
>> unused protocol number.  This is really the preferred way of dealing
>> with mixed CARP and VRRP environments as the CARP packets might in
>> turn irritate the VRRP routers, too.

This seems to make the most sense to me.  At this time it seems (in
RELENG_6_2 at least) that because the protocol number is shared with
VRRP that tcpdump tries to decode the CARP frames as VRRP frames and
although the header/frame is very simple this does not provide a useful
decoding of the CARP frame.

After the protocol number is changed it would be possible to write a
proper carp decoder for tcpdump or at least make any existing decoder be
able to tell the difference between VRRP and CARP frames.

> This sounds like a common use case. Perhaps there is motivation for
> making the protocol number used by CARP a loader tunable?
>
> [I'd really like it if we had a kernel API for adding the virtual MAC
> addresses to ifnet too, then again I'd like the cheat for infinite
> chocolate fudge sundaes in life, bed and breakfast at The Savoy with my
> choice of actress, etc]
>> /* no comment */
>>
> No disrespect to anyone intended, just that CARP does duplicate the
> functionality of VRRP.

Please correct me if I am wrong, from the limited research I have done,
  carp was born because Cisco made a patent claim (based on its patents
for HSRP) against a VRRP implementation.

> It's worth reiterating that this is what happens when software patents
> are allowed to creep in to the nuts and bolts of the operational
> Internet -- and thus, CARP was born, and thus Tom runs into the issue he
> has seen.
>
> later
> BMS

Thoughts?