Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 21:45:36 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

At 04:05 PM 4/13/97 -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> >It's a matter of simple economy, if the good wine has a very low price
>> >it *might* sell better than both the cheapest (MS-like) or the finest
>> >(SGI-like).
>>
>> Thats a rather poor example. Sure, you'd buy a Mercedes if it cost the same
>> as a Saturn, but realistically it costs more to build and maintain a
Mercedes
>> and its worth it, if you can afford it. Your premise that selling *more* is
>> the
>You don't understand, we already ARE cheap, why lose that advantage when
>there are already other (preferred) cheap options?
>
>> I was referring to. If you just want to get drunk, then buy the cheap
>> stuff. Same
>Wrong, buy the expensive one until you don't distinguish which is the
>cheap and which is the fine one. That is called "style".

YOU dont understand marketing. You make something *expensive* by
adding value. Companies that have cheap products (ie some of my
competitors) do so because they can't or dont know how to add
value. "dumping" products into the free market is a last resort, when
you fail to compete in the value-added market. If this is what you are
hoping for then you are resigned to mediocrity. The purpose of
attracting commercial vendor SHOULD be to get quality products...
not junk. FreeBSD is loaded with junk already. You should want
supported products...not basic drivers supported by some guy in
the urals who has a 50 hr a week commitment elsewhere and fixes
stuff only when his wife and kids are at grandmas.

*Dennis covers his head*

db