Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 2002 22:33:14 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, Finch <dot@dotat.at>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG, fanf@chiark.greenend.org.uk
Subject:   Re: UFS panic on -stable

In message <20020302135914.A33051@xor.obsecurity.org>, Kris Kennaway writes:
>So much for the MFS theory:
>
>/x: bad dir ino 1006899 at offset 0: mangled entry
>panic: ufs_dirbad: bad dir
>Debugger("panic")
>Stopped at      Debugger+0x35:  movb    $0,in_Debugger.426
>db>
>
>/x is a local UFS filesystem.

Hmm. You said originally that the problem first appeared when the
cluster was upgraded to 4.5. Was that 4.5-RELEASE or -STABLE? If
it was -STABLE, the approximate date would help as we can ignore
commits since then.

One change that I am slightly suspicious of is the moving of the
VOP_INACTIVE call in vput and vrele. That was MFC'd on Feb 2nd
(vfs_subr.c revision 1.249.2.25), so I'd be interested to know if
the crashes occurred before this change. The reason I'm concerned
about this one is that the NFS client does not use vnode locking
(vn_lock always succeeds), and nfs_inactive can block, so calling
VOP_INACTIVE while the vnode is not marked VFREE may cause subtle
changes in behaviour elsewhere.

Ian