Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:01:24 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> I am not sure how much traffic such a list would generate.
>
> In terms of new lists, I suggested long ago, that the number of
> questions on filtering/firewalls/nat and all points east generated on -questions
> could easily justify it's own mailing list. Since this is clearly
> one of the most confusing, most ill-understood, and frankly
> insufficiently documented areas of FreeBSD .. and yet one of it's most
> important. I have twice suggested to Crist Clark he write a book on it..
> I think he told me he was once approached to do so. But sadly no such
> book exists. There are lots of bits of paper flying around the net with
> recipes, suggestions, partial explanations etc. But there is no-where
> a coherent in-depth discussion of it all.

I must be missing your point, since  there IS a -security list, which contains
those items.  I'm subscribed to a bunch of lists, and every one of them gets the
performance issues and questions like "sorry if this is the wrong list to post
this question to, but I'm not sure where else to post it..".  -questions is a
good mailing list, but it's chatty, and ends up being more beginner level
questions, instead of specific tweaks and performance modifications, tests,
benchmarks, etc.  These things CAN be documented, and SHOULD be, and I'd love to
do that, but it won't fit in a man page, and is not static enough to be a basic
text file someone wrote up a year ago.

With each release, comes slightly different tuning and tweaking needs, and with
each purpose and use of FreeBSD, comes more variations.

Eric