Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 08:45:48 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Devadas Patil" <dpatil@cisco.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: javac

To: <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
     ^^^^^^^

> I installed jdk1.1.5 by using the tar file from
> www.freebsd.org/java. on a BSDI machine.

Ain't gonna work.  The entire system (including many system calls) is
way different in BSDi vs. FreeBSD.  Your best bet is to run Kaffe or
some other VM.

I tried getting the FreeBSD JDK working under BSDi (I'm the guy that
built the public FreeBSD JDK) for a friend, but gave up in disgust after
a day or so.  The JDK relies on system calls that are simply different
and/or return different values, so I convinced them to switch their
development to FreeBSD instead of using BSDi which has proven mostly
successfull.

Nate