Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 18:47:06 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Mitsuru IWASAKI" <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FIXED -->  Thanks! Re: ep0 eeprom failed to come ready...

From: "Mitsuru IWASAKI" <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
> With 3c5x9cfg.exe, I configured my NIC, IRQ = 10, port = 0x300, PnP
> enabled first, I got following boot messages and networking very slow
> because of IRQ (5) conflicts with my SB sound card (non-PnP ISA), I
> suspect.
>

> Giving configuraion hints would be useful for NIC which has corrupted
> EEPROM by long time usage or can conflict on resources with other
> devices unkown by kernel.  I have 3 more boxes with 509B running on
> 3-stable.  None of them have FD drive unfortunately, so I won't
> upgrade them to 4-stable.
> # I probably install Linux for them in the future :)

I don't know if this will work, but you could try executing 3c5x9cfg.exe
with the doscmd program on those other 3 systems.

SYNOPSIS
     doscmd -23AbDEfHIMOPRrtVvXxYz -c file -d file -i port[:cnt] -o
port[:cnt]
            -S int -U int [cmd [args ...]]

DESCRIPTION
     Doscmd can either emulate a subset of DOS and run the single command
cmd
     args, or it can be used to emulate a PC and boot DOS, which allows it
     run a larger variety of DOS applications.  It should be noted that MS
DOS
     6.2 and higher appear to cause difficulties for doscmd. To boot DOS,
     either provide the -b flag or omit the cmd argument.  If -b is
specified,
     cmd and args are ignored.

Another alternative is swap cards between systems:

1. pull the working card out of the system with the floppy drive
2. put it into one of the other systems.
3. put the other systems card into the system with the floppy drive
4. re-configure the card with 3c5x9cfg.exe
5. repeat step 1-4 until all cards are re-configured.

Scot