Date:      Tue, 03 Jun 2014 21:59:32 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD bug tracking moves from GNATS to Bugzilla

Am 03.06.2014 14:09, schrieb Vitaly Magerya:
> On 2014-06-03 11:05, David Chisnall wrote:
>> We are pleased to announce that the FreeBSD project has begin the
>> transition from the GNATS bug-tracking system to Bugzilla.  The
>> Bugzilla installation can be found here:
>>
>> https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/
>
> It doesn't seem to be possible to post comments (or bugs) without
> creating an account and logging in. No comment-by-email too, as far as I
> can tell.

I'd cast a vote against such features.

I've made that experiment upstream in a project unrelated to FreeBSD,
and received too many hit-and-run-style bug reports of anonymous posters
that were insufficient.  I asked questions back and did not receive a
response, for whatever reason - and if that the reporter never checked
if I commented on their bug, frustration, having moved on to other
projects, you never know.

Wasted time for bugs never found, never fixed.

While having a valid-looking email address from a submitter does not
guarantee a reply when developers have further questions, at least it
raises the chance that the submitter (reporter) knows more information
is needed.

Surely there may be valid and sometimes useful comments by people who
aren't the original reporter, but for the common case that the bug
evolves into a discussion between a developer and a reporter having a
valid BIDIRECTIONAL communications channel up front helps a lot.