Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 11:26:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        wes@bogon.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a thread-happy recv()?

> Wes Santee scribbled this message on Jul 6:
> > Hi all.  I noticed in a chunk of code I'm writing that a blocking call
> > to recv() is putting the entire process to sleep such that even the
>
> don't use recv, use read instead...  the reason recv isn't wrapped is
> that wrapping it is pointless, and may be removed in the future (from
> man page)

What about recvfrom()?

The reason cited for it's redundancy is its identity with recvfrom()
with a nil parameter.

In any case, the socket should be non-blocking, right?

I think the problem is elsewhere.

I *know* that read() is useless for distinguishing OOB data.

I also suspect that the recvfrom() may not be appropriate, given
the connection identification hack (select comes true on a
connection, and then you get the address before issuing an accept()
to determine if you want to accept() or close() the socket based on
who originated the connection -- see Stevens...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.