Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:07:21 -0000
From:      "Nostrebor Cire" <query@vcsa.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Boot Loader Operating System Detection

This is not really important, but I just thought I'd ask for curiosity's sake.

How does the FreeBSD boot loader determine the Operating System type of the
Partitions it sees?  I have to machines that dual boot between 2000 and
FreeBSD with a single hard drive.  When my laptop boots up I get a prompt
something like:

F1: Windows NT
F2: FreeBSD

But on my desktop I get:

F1: ??
F2: FreeBSD

Booting to the NTFS partition on the desktop works fine.  I was just
wondering how the boot loader decides to label the partition types.

--
http://www.vcsa.org