Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:45:10 -0500
From:      Danny Howard <djh@servercentral.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do I calculate the size and utilization of my VM from sysctl?

Phil Schulz wrote:

> Danny Howard wrote:
>
>> What's the easiest command to read to get good information on memory
>> usage?  I played with "/sbin/sysctl -n hw.physmem hw.usermem
>> vm.kvm_size vm.kvm_free" yesterday but I have the feeling that these
>> are not the numbers I think they are, because they add up wrong.
>>
>> There's some pretty good stuff at the top of top, but I'd be happier
>> with output in raw numbers of bytes, to feed to my graphing program.
>> This would also save the trouble of reinterpreting M into * 1024^2.

[...]

> Are you looking for vmstat(8)?

Actually, I'm looking for:
"How do I calculate the size and utilization of my VM from sysctl?"

vm.kvm_size is not consistent with the size of swap output by top.  But
then, I'm not sure what "kvm" is supposed to be anyway.  I've looked at
vm.stats.vm.v_page_size * vm.stats.vm.v_page_count but that aint right
either ... ?

Thanks,
-danny

--
Danny Howard                                    djh@servercentral.net
Technical Support Manager                          (312)829-1111 x235