Date:      Sat, 08 Nov 97 09:49:04 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Sheldon Hearn" <axl@iafrica.com>
Subject:   Re: syslogd doesn't read syslog.conf on HUP

On Sat, 08 Nov 1997 17:47:39 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

>I was lead to believe that syslogd would reconfigure itself on receipt
>of a HUP signal (1).

[snip]

	Yes, that's a reasonable assumption.

>I've tested this on my FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE (5 Nov 1997) box as well as my
>FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE box and on both machines it appears that syslogd
>does _not_ reread syslog.conf on receipt of a HUP. The process must be
>killed and restarted.

	What kind of changes did you make, and what led you to believe
that it did not accept them when you sent the kill -1 ?  I've run into
problems where I've had to kill and restart syslogd to get it to
acknowledge changes, but they were almost always related to changing the
names of files that certain things were going to, or adding new files.  Of
course, you do realize that if you send logging data to a new file, you
have to create it before syslog will write to it, yes?

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***