Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 14:52:30 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans), jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A request about comments in programs

Hi, Reference:
> From: "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
>
> 	moot is indeed debatable or open to dispute, but that is a limiting
> 	modifier not an encompassing one.  a moot point is one that has no
> 	practical significance, but we can argue about it ;)
>
> 	wish that i had an OED here to consult.

I have a Penguin, 85/86 edition (& girlfriend a Websters,
	( but I'm English so can't read that ;-))
3 definitions:
		1 An early English assembly to decide points of community
			and political interest
		2 a mock court in which law students argue hypothetical cases
		to put forward for discussion
	adj
		open to question;debatable - usu in moot point

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/