Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 10:05:37 -0700
From:      "Sam Leffler (at Usenix)" <sam@usenix.org>
To:        "Troy Thoele" <thoele@txcyber.com>, <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pro's and Con's of FreeBSD vs Linux for embedded systems?

> I now run a multitude of FreeBSD 4.5 servers, but I've just about given up
> with Pico development.  It looks like Pico isn't staying current with the
> mainstream FreeBSD development.  This is unfortunate, as some of us (me)
> aren't too good with programming, and if something is broken, I generally
> need outside help to fix it.

I have a picobsd-derived packaging environment for -stable that I try to
keep current.  (Actually it's derived from thewall which is in turn derived
from picobsd.)  My stuff is targeted at Soekris boxes but there's nothing I
can think of to stop you from using it in other configurations--other than a
bit of customization.

http://www.errno.com/net4501/net4501.tgz

The biggest problems I've encountered have to do with crunchgen and the
inability to crunch various applications w/o some hacking.  For compact
flash-based environments it may make more sense to discard crunchgen and
stick with shared libraries.  Luigi favors this approach.  I'd like to
better understand the memory footprint tradeoff before moving away from
crunchgen.

    Sam