Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:21:15 -0700
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        Brady Montz <bradym@balestra.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-drivers

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 04:14:08PM -0800, Brady Montz wrote:

> Here's an update ...
>
> I'm fairly certain there's a kernel bug at work here. Last night I rebooted
> to linux (which is on the same disk), and ran batch compiles all
> night long without any troubles. In comparision, I can't compile more than
> an hour at a time with BSD 4.4 before it crashes.

I still agree.  My -current machines run find, and I refuse to run -stable on
an SMP machine.

> I am running the latest 4.4-stable. The other day I went back to 4.4-release
> and that didn't help. I've tried both with and without softupdates. The
> crashes seem to happen most often when accessing stuff from all over
> the filesystem, such as during a large "make clean", or most reliably, with
> "portsdb -Uu".
>
> I am tiring of this. Someone else on this thread mentioned that
> their 5.0 machine is doing fine. In what shape is that and how much effort
> is it to move a 4.4 machine to 5.0?

Unless you feel confident that you can deal with the problems that arise on
-current, I wouldn't want to be the one to recommend that you change, but
my personal experience has been that -stable is anything but stable on SMP
machines.  On UP machines I have no problems at all.  The -current SMP machines
here are all very stable.  I don't track it daily, and I am careful to build
a test box before I rebuild a box I care about, but generally I have been
much happier with -current than with -stable (this year).

As for the effort to upgrade, it depends on what the box is doing.  I've only
upgraded a few boxes in the last year or so, and found that it was fairly
timing dependant, but in general I haven't had any real problems (read UPDATING).

I have a little time this afternoon, so I'm going to see if I can figure
something out.  I'll throw -stable onto one of my SMP development machines
and see if I can kill it.  At least there I can debug it.

A small plug: I've written a script that will rebuild an entire machine, from
a cvsup -> mergemaster and reboot.  It doesn't really address anything to
do with this thread, but you might find it handy :)

http://www.acns.ab.ca/projects/rebuild/rebuild.tar.gz

--
Chad David        davidc@acns.ab.ca
ACNS Inc.         Calgary, Alberta Canada