Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:52:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>, greg@lemis.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Panic: Invalid longjmp with vinum configured by novice

On Friday,  9 April 1999 at  0:35:07 +0200, Michael Reifenberger wrote:
> Hi,
> I often get to above message while trying to configure vinum.
> Trying the examples from the manpage works, of course.
> Next try.
> What I want to do:
> First creating a non mirrored but striped volume and later add one mirror plex.
>
> I do:
> # vinum start

You don't need to do this unless you already have objects defined from
an earlier run of vinum.

> # vinum resetconfig

You never need to do this after a start.  To quote vinum(8):

     resetconfig

             The resetconfig command completely obliterates the vinum configu-
             ration on a system.  Use this command only when you want to com-
             pletely delete the configuration.  vinum will ask for confirma-
             tion: you must type in the words NO FUTURE exactly as shown:

                   # vinum resetconfig

                   WARNING!  This command will completely wipe out your vinum
                   configuration.  All data will be lost.  If you really want
                   to do this, enter the text

                   NO FUTURE
                   Enter text -> NO FUTURE
                   Vinum configuration obliterated

             As the message suggests, this is a last-ditch command.  Don't use
             it unless you have an existing configuration which you never want
             to see again.

Later:

     3.   Some of the commands currently supported by vinum are not really
          needed.  For reasons which I don't understand, however, I find that
          users frequently try the label and resetconfig commands, though es-
          pecially resetconfig outputs all sort of dire warnings.  Don't use
          these commands unless you have a good reason to do so.

> # cat x
> drive d1 device /dev/da1d
> drive d2 device /dev/da2d
> volume raid
>  plex org stripe 256k
>   sd length 50m drive d1
>   sd length 50m drive d2
> vinum create x
> (Please note the missing 'd' in stripe)
>
> I get:
> ..the panic..
>
> Sigh.

Agreed.  *sigh*.

I found about this problem last night, and I've fixed it, but I have
only just committed it.  It's a result of the change in the kernel
address space.

> BTW: Any chance that the create commands will work interactive from
> within vinum?

Not much.  It's trivial to implement, but just another way of shooting
yourself in the foot.

> I suspect one will not have a r/w filesystem in worst case scenarios
> for creating vinum createfiles (And even if, `ed` is not my friend.)

Hmm.  I suppose that might be an argument.  But vinum(8) doesn't offer
you much in the way of editing facilities either.

Greg