Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 12:40:53 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disklabel(8) correction?

Michael Lucas wrote:
> # man disklabel
>      Disklabel installs, examines or modifies the label on a disk drive or
>      pack.
>      ^^^^^
>
> I understand that pack is very old terminology.  Should it even be in
> the man page these days?  (Discussion on IRC said no, but email is the
> "official forum" for discussing such things.)
>
> I'll get it fixed if not.

How do you refer to "removable fixed disk media"?

I guess we can call it "cartridge", which is what Syquest calls
them.  What does IBM call them?  I'm pretty sure IOmega calls
them "Zip disks" and "JAZ drive removable media".

IMO, "pack" is as good a single word generic term as any.

If you need to change it, you should probably get rid of "disk
drive", as well, and replace "disk" onward with "storage media".

While you are at it, rename it "smlabel".

Ugh.

-- Terry