Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 16:44:43 -0700
From:      dannyman <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Sean Knox <wintermage@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LDAP support: iPlanet or OpenLDAP?

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 04:20:29PM -0700, Sean Knox wrote:
> You mentioned replacing your current LDAP solution with OpenLDAP... any
> gotchas thus far? conventional wisdom you can share? I completely agree
> about the need to just dive into LDAP to understand it all...I have a copy
> of Mark Wilcox's "Implenting LDAP" which I am still reading, as well as
> combing through the FAQs and doc's on www.openldap.org. Any books you
> suggest picking up?

Join the OpenLDAP mailing list.

If you are good with perl, learn Net::Perl - it is a lifesaver.

* ObPorts: For some reason, p5-Net-LDAP has been renamed perl-ldap,
which used to be the Mozilla PerLDAP module.  I wrote the maintainer
that this is an extremely f'ed situation but I haven't heard back.  I'll
probably develop and send-pr ports for these two different LDAP client
modules.

A massive tome is Howes, Smith, and Good _Understanding and Deploying
LDAP Directory Services_, I am stepping through Part II as a guide for
writing my documentation.

> Fortunately, everyone in the company is very supportive of my research with
> UN*X and are waiting for me to replace the current IS manager's NT based
> network with FreeBSD/OpenBSD. :)

I envy you.

Currently, we're going to deploy LDAP and AD seperately.  To some this
seems folly, but AD is a massive load of work seperate from simply
worrying about LDAP.  I've got working code to set AD passwords via
LDAP, and I've already developed a couple of migration / sync scripts,
so my current plan is to do my thing with OpenLDAP, and populate AD
based on OpenLDAP, and have a password web page that will set both
passwords.

One neat thing is that I'm running NIS, so until I replace NIS, I can
tell OpenLDAP to store DES crypt passwords and configure a special
account to read those passwords from the OpenLDAP userPassword
attribute.

Eventually we are likely to try and merge my OpenLDAP work in to AD to
make life simpler.

Meanwhile, I keep imagining the kind of massive bucks I could
potentially make as a consultant once I get all this down. :)

-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/