Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:10:15 -0600
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "Ow Mun Heng" <Ow.Mun.Heng@wdc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: release tag for ports

On 2/28/06, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@wdc.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Another FreeBSD Newbie question pertaining to ports.
>
> based on the example ports-supfile
> in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
>
> [snip]
> *default release=3Dcvs tag=3D.
> [/snip]
>
> What I would like to know if there are any other versions of the ports.
> meaning, say eg: programA, there is version 1.0, 1.0.2, 1.1 etc..
>
> Is there such thing as RELENG_6 RELENG_6_1 or something like this? Or is
> there only going to be 1 and only 1 version of ports? (I think there
> _is_ an option, only that I don't know. I've searched through the
> handbook, but I've only found references to the example ports-supfile
> with the "tag=3D.")
>
> let's take gnome as an example, there's version 2.10/2.12/2.13 etc. Do
> I,the user, have a choice to be able to upgrade to any of the 3 versions
> as I see fit?
>
> Thanks.
>
> I'll google it up when I get home to an I-net connection.
>
> --
> Ow Mun Heng
> Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
> 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
> Neuromancer 16:44:52 up 3 days, 19:21, 5 users, load average: 0.54,
> 0.53, 0.50

Short version, No.
Ports, docs, etc. do not have -RELEASE tags, when you cvsup ports you
always get what would be the equivalent of cvsup'ing you system up
with -CURRENT, hence the dot for the release tag.  You can however
cvsup to a specific date and time in the passed if you use something
like this "*default date=3D2005.10.25.00.00.00", all the zero's are for
time (GMT, 24 hour clock).

Longer version that says the same thing:
http://groups.google.com/group/list.freebsd.questions/browse_thread/thread/=
d098d124350a933b/

--
BSD Podcasts @ http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/