Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:05:04 +0100
From:      Dirk Froemberg <dirk@freebsd.org>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
Cc:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>, Patrick Bihan-Faou <patrick@mindstep.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, ache@freebsd.org, rse@engelschall.com, adam@algroup.co.uk
Subject:   Re: ports/15873: New Apache_fp+php+mod_ssl-1.3.9+3.0.12+2.4.8 port.

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 07:44:30PM -0800, Vincent Poy wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
> > > To me the ideal situation would be:
> > > - a simple apache port (apache13)
> > > - a new port category (maybe) for the apache modules where I could find
> > >   mod_ssl, mod_php, mod_frontpage, mod_xyz, etc.
> > >
> > > This way I could choose exactly the apache configuration I need/want.
> > >
> > > This is exactly why I created a "mod_dav" port as opposed to a
> > > "apache-mod_dav-xxx" port. It would be really great if you could do the
> > same
> > > with the mod_frontpage module.
> > >
> > As the original creator of the Apache13-fp port, it is not currently
> > possible to seperate the mod_frontpage module from the Apache Server.  The
> > reason for this is the mod_frontpage requires certain patches be applied to
> > the Apache Server before it gets compiled.
> >
> > Mod_SSL is also in the same situation as it requires the EAPI patches to be
> > applied to the Apache Server.
> >
> > It is possible to come up with a one Apache Server solution, but it will
> > require that the FrontPage patches (patch-f?), EAPI patches, etc be applied
> > and compiled with the Apache port.
> >
> > Then Apache Module ports for mod_fronpage, mod_ssl can be created which
> > compiles these modules as DSO.
> >
> > Also, the httpd.conf needs a way for adding new DSO to it.
> >
> > HINT: NetBSD ports tree is already doing this for the mod_ssl, php* ports.
>
> 	Wouldn't a good way to do it be to simply implement front page
> extensions into the apache13+php3 port since one can select the modules
> and option one wants built into the server.

Yes, from a technical point of view, it would be easy to integrate
Frontpage extensions to apache13-php3 and make the php part optional,
too.  Then we would have merged apache13, apache13-fp, apache13-modssl
and apache13-php3 into one port. We would have to decide how to deal
with apache13-ssl, then.

I asked about such integration about a year ago. The maintainer of
apache13-modssl stated that he'd like to keep a seperate port for
modssl. IIRC the maintainer of apache13 wanted to stay independent,
too. This has to be respected of course.

So I think the major problem is not how to implement certain things,
but to come to a conclusion all (maintainers) can live with.

Perhaps things have changed since then and we can discuss this issue
again. So I propose to do the following:

- merge fp extensions into apache13-php3
- make the php3 part of apache13-php3 optional (apache13-php3 should
  be renamed to something reasonable then)
- remove apache13, apache13-fp, apache13-modssl, apache13-php3 and
  apache13-ssl

Alternatively we can integrate fp extensions into apache13-php3 and
leave everthing else as it is. But I think this wouldn't help very
much because it would be still confusing to have too many apache13-*
ports.

So what do you think?

[Cc'ed to apache13* maintainers]

--