Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:30:59 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 19:49:32 PST, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Ok, I've finally gone and done it... cleaned up the sysinstall
>     'Auto' option.

:-)

You complained about considered responses, so I hope you find this
refreshing, since I've mulled over it for a week-end.

I think the way forward with automatic partitioning is simple:  the scheme
selected should be based on the intended role of the system.

By this, I mean that "Auto" needs to know at least whether the system
will be a workstation or a server.  You might want to make further
distinctions.

However, _some_ kind of distinction is required for an intelligent
"Auto" scheme.  Consider that someone using XFree86 and StarOffice
probably wants a completely different scheme from what I want when I set
up a mail server.  The latter requires as much space as possible in /var,
while the former probably wants as much space as possible in /usr (and
/home if /home is not a symlink).

While I'm glad that you're interested in this, and looking to improve
the status quo, I don't think you can do so without the introduction of
role-based decision-making.

Ciao,
Sheldon.