Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:51:33 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Pirat Sriyotha" <pirat@center.oaep.go.th>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make a customized kernel error

Pirat Sriyotha wrote:

>i have just finished a 'cvsup stable-supfile' for another new machine.
>this one is primarily 2.2.8.  after finishing cvsup, i do a 'make world'
>and get a good news with 'make world completed on Wed Jan 20 22:24:37 ICT
>1999.'
>
>next i do a customization for the new kernel, please see the attached
>file for my configuration for this kernel.
>what i do is as follow
>
>(1) cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>(2) cp GENERIC NimMarNaRaTi
>(3) edit NimMarNaRaTi to fit my requirements, actually i do while
>cvsupping and after completion of 'make world' then
>(4) /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/config/config NimMarNaRaTi
>(5) make depend
>(6) make
>
>now at this point, i get an error message at the end that says,

<snip>

I think step (4) is wrong. From /usr/src/sys/i386/conf directory, try:

(4)    /usr/sbin/config NimMarNaRaTi

You should get a message similar to "build directory is
../../compile/NimMarNaRaTi", then:

Step (5) above looks like you're running make in the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
directory. You need to go to the directory config set up:

(5)    cd ../../compile/NimMarNaRaTi
(6)    make depend
(7)    make
(8)    make install