Date:      Sat, 27 Aug 2005 08:40:41 +0100
From:      Jayton Garnett <jay@codegurus.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org,  multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: USB

Hi,

There seems to be a need for a web cam streamer for FreeBSD so I have
figured out a VERY tempary solution.
I just created a web cam "steam" (just a page auto-refresh every 60
seconds).

The webcam:
Logitech Quickcam Express
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2204,CONTENTID=5037

The software:
qcamview        (you can view a REAL stream with this, but we need
qcamshot that comes with it)
WebMagick      (we only need the convert utility that comes with this)

What I did and why I did it?
I wanted a webcam stream for my friends/family in Australia, South
Africa and the UK.

Added a user called cam to the wheel group.

added some lines to /etc/devfs.conf:

#Webcam
own   /dev/ugen0   root:wheel
perm   /dev/ugen0   0644

own   /dev/ugen0.1   root:wheel
perm   /dev/ugen0.1   0644

own   /dev/ugen0.2   root:wheel
perm   /dev/ugen0.2   0644

made a simple script named webcam.sh in my home dir, it looks like this:

#!/usr/local/bin/bash
qcamshot > ./~/public_html/image.ppm
convert -despeckle ./~public_html/image.ppm ./~public_html/image.jpg
chmod 755 ./~/public_html/image.jpg

Now I added a line to my /etc/crontab:

#Run the script every minute.
*/1   *   *   *   *   cam   /home/cam/./webcam.sh

Then created a html file with the refresh tag set to 60, kinda looks like:
content="60;http://www.mydomain.com/path_to_autorefresh_page">;

Sorry if this does not relate to what anyone really needs, but it is
02:39am and im tired :-)   and thought
at least 1 other person might need this, you can alter the crontab to
take images more frequently and
set the refresh accordingly.

For a FreeBSD NON-guru i feel pretty good that I managed this. wo0t!

Hope someone finds this useful.

Cheers,
Jay... a very sleepy one...