Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 08:43:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leif@neland.dk>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
Cc:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports won't build on stable

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Brett Taylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Leif Neland wrote:
>
> > A: Could the ports tarball be created from a cvsup'ped tree with
> > whatever information is needed for cvs to recognize it as its own
> > child?
>
> I guess it could.
>
> > B: Shouldn't the need to erase a tarballed tree be mentioned in the
> > UPDATING?
>
> You don't need to erase the whole tree, just an pkg/ or patches/
> directories that don't get removed.

Now you tell me! Luckily I'm at flat rate at home, and permanently
connected at work.

If so, the bsd.port.mk shouldn't test for the presence of pkg/ , but the
absence of pkg-*

Perhaps cvsup should have an option which goes further than exact mode,
where it was allowed to delete files witch were deleted on the server,
even if they were not checked out by cvsup.

An option to make cvsup to delete all unknown file is probably so
dangerous it should be interactive.

If I had more machines to update the ports tree on, it would be worth to
make a script, which traversed the tree, and
1: removed pkg/ and patches/
2: removed all ports without a pkg-* (assuming ports created from tarball,
wont be removed by cvsup if not present on server)

Leif