Date:      Wed, 29 May 2013 11:04:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Pascal Braun, Continum" <pascal.braun@continum.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS crashing while zfs recv in progress

Hi,

I'm trying to send a zfs pool from an old freebsd 9.0 installation to a new machine with freebsd 9.1. The pool is quite heavy (about 16TB, lots of snapshots) and the receiving side keeps crashing on me. The command used to transfer (run on the old 9.0 installation):
zfs send -R tank@snapshot | ssh 10.10.xx.xx zfs recv -F -d -v tank

After a few hours the system stops all writing and I can't start any new processes. Processes still running like 'zpool iostat' are still working, or at least it is still reporting something. To me it looks like the filesystem just disappeared. Unfortunately I'm running root on zfs so I don't have any logs about this.
The only message I sometimes find on the console are about not being able to write to swap, which is also on zfs.

Do you have any ideas? I don't even know where to start.

regards, Pascal