Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:19:47 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Paul Gregg <pdgregg@hangarflight.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: msql and apache-php

Hi Paul,

You posted your reply (only) to me personally.  I'm CC'ing this reply back to
the -questions list, since there might be people there who can help you
better than I.

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998 at 01:55 SAT, Paul Gregg wrote:
> Sorry for the delayed response. My ISP has been having big problems with
> email.
>
> I have reinstalled freebsd 2.2.2 release from the cdrom. The computer is on a
> network where I work with a full time internet connection. I've had apache
> 1.2.5 up and running before I reinstalled and msql also, but have not been
> able to get them all working together.
>
> I just reinstalled msql 2.0.4.1. It seems to be working. I tried to install
> from the ports apache1.3.1 with php 3.03.
>
> It gets to a point in the php portion where its looking for msql.h and stops
> there saying that it can't find it

I've never installed either Apache or PHP from the ports.  PHP can depend on
a _lot_ of different libraries/includes, and the various ports don't always
seem to be 100% consistent.

If it can't find msql.h, then the include path should probably extended to
include /usr/local/Hughes/include.  This is trivial to do if you're compiling
from scratch, but can be a bit of a pain if using the port.

(Those more experienced with the ports tree might correct me at this point.)

> I have tried several versions of the apache with php from the ports all with
> similar results. They hang because they cant find some of the msql files. I
> posted this question before and someone suggested the path was not set
> correctly.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. The latest port seems to expect msql to
> be in the /usr/local/Hughes which is where I have it.
>
> If I log in as root I cant excute the msql2d command but if i log in as admin
> where i have modified the path then i can execute the msql commands.
>
> Is it possible to set the default path for root where these commands will be
> found from root. If so where is this done.
> I have tried editing the .profile for root but doesnt seem to help.
>
> I am still pretty much a unix newbie but have been able to get thru most
> problems
>
> Please reply to pgregg@wspa.com or pdgregg@hangarflight.com

For most things I would advocate using the ports, but Apache and PHP are a
different story.  I'd suggest the following:

- Create yourself a hierarchy where you can compile things from the
  distribution, say /usr/local/src
- Extract the apache and PHP source into subdirectories of this hierarchy.
- Read carefully the INSTALL and README files of both packages.  It might
  take a _little_ more than typing "make install", but they're not really
  that hard to configure and compile.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878