Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:05:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Daniel Guetzkow <dguetzkow@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't ping

I just brought up 4.2 on what is to be a simple webserver.

I have a couple of questions.

I've got kernel and filesystems installed OK. System boots, and gives
me "ed0" for my network card, a NE2000 clone (Real-Tek 8029), a PCI
card. I didn't set up the card, just plugged it in.

my rc.conf file reads (excuse my typing errors)
+++++++++++++++++++
hostname="compassion.joss.com" #will be node on joss.com domain
network_interfaces="ed0 lo0"
ifconfig_ed0="inet 199.34.53.178"
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
default_router="199.34.53.178"
gateway_enable="YES"
static routes=""
#
#sysinstall <???>
linux_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable=YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
inetd_enable="YES"
#
#sysinstall
ntpdate_flags="bitsy.mit.edu"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
#
#sysinstall
router_enable="NO"
++++++++++++++++++ end of file
Now, gateway_enable was set to NO, but I changed it to YES, thinking
that it would permit the command "ping 10.0.0.1" to route through the
ed0 interface. Should it be "yes" or "no"? Is it likely that rc.conf is
the problem?

+++++++++++++++

I have a "crossover" cable wired directly from one NIC to another on a
Windows ME machine. Might this be the problem? I don't have a hub, I
only occasionally need the network.

I've changed the cable (have 2 such cables), so I don't think the cable
itself is faulty. I'm using brand new crossover cables. I also tried
all this with properly terminated thinnet cable. I have not tried to
boot with floppies to Windows DOS and run low level card utilities.
Perhaps that is next.

So I've got the webserver directly cabled to a desktop, forced to
10.0.0.1. Each machine can ping its own card, by can't ping across the
cable to the other card, from either side.

Can I run ssh from a Windows ME machine? where do I get a copy? I'd
like to control this from a remote location, and have heard the horrors
of running telnetd, which used to work for me.

Daniel