Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 95 19:44:20 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        pawals00@mik.uky.edu (patrick a walsh)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help with mouse and XF86-3.1

> I have asked everyone I can think of and still no one seems to be able to help
> me out.  I have a Logitech bus mouse on com2.  I have the line

No you do not.

You either have a logitech bus mouse plugged into a PS/2 mous port on
your motherboard, or plugged into a busmouse card or video card with
a bus mouse chip on it, *OR* you have a Logitech setial mouse on
com2.

You *don't* have a bus mouse attached to a com port!

> device   mse1   at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq3 vector mseintr
>
> in my kernel config and the line

This is incorrect.  If you have a mouse card or a mouse specific
connector on your motherboard, and are not using a serial connector
to attach your mouse to your computer, then you will need to use
the "mse" driver.

> "/dev/mse1"
>
> in my XF86Config file and no errors show up when I make a log of the messages
> on startup of X.  No errors show when I boot on my new kernel, and it shows
> that it can find the mouse.  Also, the mouse works on MSDOG.    Still, for
> some reason my mouse still won't work on X.  I can type in the one window
> where the mouse cursor is stuck just fine, and I can exit just fine to
> FBSD 2.0.  What else can I do?  Please help!!  Thanks!

If the mouse is actually connected to what would be your "com2" port
under DOS, then the correct device is "/dev/tty01".

Using the "mse" driver in your kernel at 'port "IO_COM2" tty irq3' is
guaranteed to fail if you actually have a com2. Part of the "mse"
device configuration disables interrupt conflict detection, and you
will have two device drivers trying to attach to IRQ 3 and use the
I/O address range "IO_COM2" (and only one of the drivers can actually
work the com driver, and it can't share interrupts).

If you can, put your kernel back.  Then if you truly have a bus mouse,
look at the LINT k3ernel configuration for the line to add to your
configuration.  Otherwise, if you have a PS/2 mouse, it will plug
into the mouse port on your machine (actually, the second channel on
the keyboard controller) and you should add the PS/2 driver.

After that, make sure the device the mouse is attached to probes
as existing when you reboot, then the remaining problem is setting
up your X config correctly.  Post to questions again if you get that
far and it still doesn't work, or post to questions@xfree.org.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu