Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:15:26 -0700
From:      "Chris Wasser" <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        <dan@freebsddiary.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: proftpd and authentication failure

Yeah, I got it going just fine, same version too (1.2.0pre8) and there
was no magic involved in getting it working. I simply installed the port
and added the following two lines in /etc/pam.conf:

ftp     auth    required        pam_unix.so
try_first_pass
ftp     account required        pam_unix.so
try_first_pass

I discovered in the port workdir there were infact two sets of
instructions for PAM under FreeBSD, one said to use the above two lines
and the other said to add this third one:

ftp    session required        pam_unix.so
try_first_pass

Which I did, but resulted in PAM errors in /var/log/messages to the
effect of:

Nov  9 23:29:58 deepthought proftpd[15183]: unable to resolve symbol:
pam_sm_open_session
Nov  9 23:29:58 deepthought proftpd[15183]: unable to resolve symbol:
pam_sm_close_session

When a valid user (non-anonymous connection) was made. I simply
commented it out and it appears to be working just fine, no warnings or
anything like that and the logging is all there from proftpd itself.