Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 02:17:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alan Bawden <Alan@LCS.MIT.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: messing with /etc/rc.conf (continued)

Ha!  I'm not crazy!  I'll bet it's /stand/sysinstall that edits my
/etc/rc.conf:

  oolong:alan> strings /stand/sysinstall | grep -4 \\.previous
  /etc/rc.conf
  %s="%s"%s
  %s="%s"
  Writing configuration changes to %s file..
  cp %s %s.previous
  network_interfaces
  ifconfig_
  %s%s
  WVSh

And I do recall that about a month ago I tried to use `sysinstall' to install
some package or another.  The handbook -says- this is supposed to work, and
I was seduced by the idea of just being able to just point at a menu, but I
was eventually forced to retreat to using plain old `pkg_add'.

But I'll bet that's when my rc.conf got munged.

OK, you guys can stop sending me mail now telling me that rc.conf is just a
shell script.  Thanks for your time.