Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:49:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Shadwick <tshadwick@goinet.com>
To:        Brent Wiese <brently@bjwcs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bootable CD with virus checking for NTFS

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Brent Wiese wrote:

> I've been searching around for a bootable CD that can virus fix NTFS
> partitions. Obviously that means it needs to be able to mount NTFS
> partitions as RW.
>
> I've found several CD's based on Linux that will check in RO mode, but none
> that will (safely anyways) in RW.
>
> Pipe dream?
>
> Heck, doesn't even need to be free as long as the cost is reasonable.
>
> Just so extra emails aren't generated, I've tried:
>
> Helix
> Ultimate Boot CD (this one claims NTFS RW, but when I boot, it appears to be
> RO... Haven't actually tried using on an infected system yet)
> Auditor
> Whoppix

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure all of the LiveCD's go RO by default,
even if the kernel is compiled to allow RW.  That's just a safety
precaution against users that don't know the limits and dangers of writing
to an NTFS volume.  You can still pop open a terminal and re-mount it RW
by hand, although I would suggest running clam (that's what you're using,
right?), and if you FIND a virus, mount it RW and either remove it by hand
or run clam again again allow clam to clean up the mess then.