Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:09:45 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
Cc:        fbsdq <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ntpdate

Andrew P. wrote:
> On 11/16/05, dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st> wrote:
[ ... ]
>>Thank you. I
>>You are probably right. I'll get rid of ntpdate in rc.conf.
>>I have two timeservers at the moment. I will look for some more in the
>>Netherlands. Yours are to far away ;-)
>
> Last time I checked ntpd docs there was no way
> to tell ntpd to set the time to correct at once at
> startup. Imagine that you've left your box off for a
> few days. Your clock might get inaccurate by
> quite a few seconds (about 2-5 minutes a month
> on some hardware).
>
> So ntp either converges for the whole eternity, or
> just fails to work. Ntpdate at startup solves this
> problem.

Running "ntpdate -b" at boot to forcibly syncronize the clock is a pretty good
idea, but you actually can convince ntpd to sync even a clock which is badly
off via:

      -g      Normally, ntpd exits if the offset exceeds the sanity limit,
              which is 1000 s by default.  If the sanity limit is set to zero,
              no sanity checking is performed and any offset is acceptable.
              This option overrides the limit and allows the time to be set to
              any value without restriction; however, this can happen only
              once.  After that, ntpd will exit if the limit is exceeded.  This
              option can be used with the -q option.

--
-Chuck