Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:06:08 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        markm@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH bugs with login.conf

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 07:07:54PM +0300, a little birdie told me
that Andrey A. Chernov remarked
> How to reproduce bug:
> with default /etc/login.conf try to log in using standard login (1) and
> "ssh localhost" (2). Then "echo $FTP_PASSIVE_MODE". You'll have  "YES" in
> case (1) and "Undefined variable." in case (2). User's ~/.login_conf not
> handled too.

As long as this type of issue is coming up, I'd like to mention another
related thing that's been brought up relating to the various ssh ports
from time to time; namely, login.access.

If we have OpenSSH in the base system, it'd be REALLY nice if it could
somehow be thwacked into following the same pattern of access control/etc
that every other login method uses.

I haven't actually looked through ssh in general to see what sort of
login process it uses, but is there any inherent reason why it can't just
use login(1) like everything else, and avoid special patching and
duplicated code to read the files?

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com