Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:28:07 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <charon@labs.gr>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: anonymous-ftp cracked

Hi Uli and Giorgos,

  I've had a bit of experience with this sort of thing and I have to say that
nobody should be running an open FTP server that allows uploading to anyone
unless they are willing to take the time to monitor it - and I mean every
day, preferably several times a day.

100MB is plenty of space for some jerk to upload his collection
of Sally SpreadEagle in all her silicon glory.  If that happens
your going to find every bit of outbound bandwidth you have completely
saturated.  If your unlucky enough to have your FTP server at an
ISP you may find yourself fined heavily  (ie: overage charges)

  Some people have a little script that runs out of cron and diffs the
output of ls against the previous run and e-mails the maintainer when new
files show up, others simply check by eye.  Whatever works for you is fine,
but don't think that you can just put out public storage for anyone to use
as they see fit and just ignore it anymore.