Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 16:53:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@intele.net>
To:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: . in mail messages

> Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de> pointed out to me that
> majordomo should allow '.' in a mail message.  '.' terminates the message
> only during an smtp conversation.
>
> so let's test it
>
> does it work?
> .
> yes it did.

Or maybe it didn't.  Because . !ON A LINE BYE ITSELF! typically denotes
'end of message' to mail transport agents, most mail user agents will
never send out this sequence.  They typically add whitespace at the end
of the line.  The only way to truly test this is to feed the program
(server?) a file directly, without going through an MUA.

Sick and twisted, idn't it?

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder